Saturday, August 5, 2017

The Best of Intentions

Intentions.

The good, the bad, the best of.

My daughter, Abby, wears a bracelet everyday that says "breathe."  I was with her when she chose it, when she connected with it in the boutique.   When I look at her, I am not at all surprised that she feels this word so deeply.  Her theater training, her vocal technique, her yoga classes.  Then there is the stress that can arise with a packed schedule.  The word was so perfect.  Breathe, girl.

The word bracelet, the "MyIntent" bracelet is a big "thing" right now and I want one, but I've been struggling to pick my word.  The lists are endless, and I can't seem to connect.  Some have double meanings, some just sound wrong, some are slightly negative, some seem cliche, some aren't fitting enough to wear everyday.  Being that I kind of fancy myself a word-kind-of-girl, this word block is challenging to me.

Challenge.

That's another thing.

My cousin, Julianne, has challenged me to accept a 50-Weeks-to-50 challenge.  I must pick a new goal every week until I turn fifty next July.  Fifty goals, fifty weeks.  She's a few weeks into her challenge and mine starts this week.  So, I have to pick my first challenge.

I can't even pick a word.

So, this morning on my walk, I decided to combine these two tasks.

Week One of my 50-Weeks-to-50 (#50Weeksto50 on Instagram) will be to  pick my word of intention.  And as I thought about it, really thought about it, and thought about some things that will be on my list of goals to accomplish this year,  I wondered, what keeps us (me) from trying things, finishing things, putting things out into the world.  For me, it's often fear.  Fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of not finishing, fear of the unknown, fears I didn't even know were holding me back.

"You cannot be brave without fear."  ~Muhammad Ali

It feels a bit weird that one of my favorite quotes happen to be by Ali, but it is.  And that's what popped into my head on my walk.  And then there's another one of my favorite quotes, but it's actually the end of a poem.


There is freedom waiting for you,
On the breezes of the sky,

And you ask "What if I fall?"
Oh but my darling,
What if you fly?” 
~Erin Hanson




So I chose my word.  BRAVE. I have some goals to complete, and some things to try, and there is freedom waiting on the breezes of the sky.  I see a paddleboard in my future, a journal, and a finished manuscript.  I will write poetry. I will try yoga. I will bake and decorate cupcakes from scratch.  I will submit that manuscript.  Again. 

What is your intention?  What is your word?  Follow me on instagram at @christychafe and #50WeeksTo50 share your goals and intentions and dreams and challenges and favorite words.  I'd really love to hear.  

Be brave.  What if you fly? 







2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word when it comes to your writing is always the same....WOW!

    ReplyDelete